How to Feed a Newborn Baby?
According to experts, it is recommended to give only breast milk to your newborn baby during the first six months. At the latest after the fifth month you can switch to additional food. In this respect, feeding of babies is very important. Parents’ first task is to ensure that their babies are properly fed. When newborns are fed right in the first year, their growth rate increases. In addition, when family foods are learned which conditions should be given correctly, they provide a good nutrition habit for their babies. Thus, while feeding your baby, you are provided to act in accordance with his development. In these periods, it is very important to determine additional foods and nutritional recommendations appropriately.
We can distinguish nutrition from two periods:
First Term: The first 4 months and the first six months are very important after the baby is born. In these months, your little puppy needs to be fed with breast milk, the only food source. Breast milk can provide all the needs of your child during the first 4-6 months. During these periods, take care to eat plenty of breast milk. Never give your child the following prohibited foods.
Forbidden foods for your baby in 0-3 months:
- Cow milk
- Bee feeding + cow milk
- Biscuit + cow’s milk
- Pudding yoghurt
- All additional foods like vegetables and fruits
- Animal proteins such as egg, ground beef
- Taste food waters
The importance of breast milk at 4 and 6 months:
* Breast milk has a very important place in newborn babies. Breastfeeding should be performed by giving the baby to her mother’s breast within one hour after the birth. Breast milk is the most important factor in the development and growth of babies. It will help your child to develop both physically and mentally.
* Mother’s milk is very clean and sterile. It strengthens your baby’s immune system. Protects against dangerous diseases. Because it is a useful nutrient, it is very easy to digest. It helps to minimize problems such as diarrhea and constipation in children.
* Prevents conditions such as heart diseases, diabetes mellitus, oral and dental development disorders in children fed with breast milk and makes them less visible.
Foods That Mothers Should Eat To Increase Breastfeeding:
* Fresh white grapes
* Salep, Boza
* Carrot and Pumpkin
* Fig, Strawberry
* Molasses, Tahina
2. Term: It must be started at 4-6 months and is completed with 1 year filling. In addition to breast milk, additional foods are started to be given in these months.
* It is recommended that additional foods be given after the fifth month at the earliest. In the most appropriate sixth month, additional foods are fully prepared. In these months, teething conditions are also observed. This is one of the stages that make feeding possible.
Additional Food Advice:
Months 5 and 6:
If your baby is five and a half months old and you want to switch to additional foods, you can give additional foods.
1) Meal-milk foods should be given as additional food in these months. It is preferable to use rice flour. It would be appropriate to prepare the prepared food firstly and then turn it into semi-solid and solid custard shape by increasing the amount of rice flour in the following weeks. It is not recommended to consume more than one meal per day.
2) Yogurt or fruit juice can be added to your child after it has been adapted to custard. Yogurt must be prepared at home and sour.
3) Juice should be diluted in the first days and given to the baby. Then you can give it without dilution. We do not forget to increase the amount more and more. After 1 week of acclimation period, it will be enough to give one teaspoon cup of fresh juice in one day. In the following months, you can be transformed into fruit puree. It is recommended to use glass grating only when preparing the mash.
Months 6 and 8:
If your baby is 6 months old, the following foods may be preferred.
1) In order to meet the iron needs of your baby, it is provided to start vegetable soup in these months. For each meal, a soup spoon of fat in the soup can be added. In addition, a soup spoon of vegetable oil can be added into the soup.
2) After the vegetables and minced meat are thoroughly boiled, the wire should be filtered. Then crush the fork and give it to the baby. The use of a kitchen robot and blander is never recommended.
3) Egg yolk may be given in these months. But you must make sure that the egg is solidly cooked. It usually starts with one in eight. We can reach the yolk within a week by increasing every day. 2-3 egg yolks per week should not be given.
4) White cheese is the best food that can be recommended in this period. You must be careful that the cheese is made from boiled milk.
5) The best way to get these nutrients to the baby can be given by mixing baby biscuits (2 -3) and milk (one teaspoon) in the morning meals. You can make a jam and honey. (1 teaspoon)
6) In the seventh and eighth months, while giving beef meatballs, you can also start giving fish and chicken / turkey.
7) Vegetable soups can be made with non-fat beef minced meat or chicken, turkey. After learning to chew, it would be better to give the meat to small pieces and give it alone.
8) In the seventh month, babies can eat rice and pasta. They can easily digest food.
9-12 th Month
During these months your child can sit comfortably at the family table. They can prepare your food (all kinds of meat, vegetable dishes, pasta, rice and stuffed dishes). In all cases, until the age of one year, all kinds of food is given to an infant.
Considerations When Starting Additional Foods:
1) Additional foods must be tried when the baby is hungry. It’s never right to try a new nutrient when your belly is full.
2) Every new food should be tried alone. It wouldn’t be right to try more than one additional food at the same time. Excessive foods can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
3) The additional foods to be given should be given in small amounts first and then the amount should be increased.
4) Never try to eat a food your baby doesn’t like. However, it would be correct to wait for a week to pass as short as ten days.
5) Spoon or cup with additional food to your baby. Do not use the bottle. In infants who continue to take breast milk, the baby can move away from the breast if it is started.
6) You should pay great attention to hygiene and cleanliness when preparing additional foods. Be sure to use glass grater and clean water.
7) The supplementary foods must be prepared naturally and freshly. Canned, frozen foods, ready-made fruit juices, food and sweeteners should never be given.
8) Do not leave food prepared at room temperature for more than two hours and try to keep it in your cabinet. Freshly squeezed fruit juices can be given to the baby immediately. Holding squeezed fruit juices in your refrigerator may cause acidic substances to form. So you can drink freshly squeezed juice immediately to your child.